5 Cone Tackling Drill
Purpose: To develop good angle, close, and tackling technique in our tacklers.
Equipment: 5 cones, 1 ball, and 1 ball carrier (player)
How: The point cones (where the players are located are 2 yards from the center cone (4 yards total) and the gap cones are also 2 yards from the center cone. The ball carrier has a ball in his hand and is ready to go. On “GO” the ball carrier hits either gap fast he has a choice once he passes his point cone to cut to the other gap or hit the gap he his aimed at. The tackler on “GO” breaks down and mirrors the runner. He must keep his body square the runner and take a good inside angle to him. If he cuts back he must mirror the runner and take a good inside angle. The object is to tackle the runner before he crosses the line.
Form Tackling Technique
1. Hit (breakdown position; knees bent, tail back, arch in back, neck against helmet, eyes up)
2. Fit (shoulder to numbers, helmet to side of the ball, eyes to sky, upper body between ball carrier and goal line)
3. Lock (At instant of contact, wrap arms around ball carrier’s thighs and squeeze him with your arms pressing in ward, lift his butt of the ground)
4. Lift (forward thrust of hips and driving your shoulder pads into his chest will create lift)
5. Drive (use legs, upper body holds tight, move ball carrier up and back)
SAFETY: STRESS HEAD UP “EYES TO THE SKY”, SERIOUS NECK AND/OR SPINAL INJURY CAN RESULT FROM PLACING THE HEAD DOWN